How to Keep Fleas Out of New England Properties in Late Summer
August 28, 2019
No one likes dealing with a flea infestation. Did you know you didn’t have to have pets to get fleas in your New England home? Fleas can easily invade pet-free homes. The question you are probably asking yourself is, “how do fleas get into homes then?” Let us help answer this question.
What Causes Fleas?
Fleas are known as hitchhikers because they hitch a ride, not just on cats and dogs, but deer, raccoons, rats, and other wildlife. They can also hitch a ride on humans. If you are out in the yard or walk through the grass, you can pick up fleas on your clothing just as easily as you can pick up ticks. Most people just assume their pets brought the fleas into their home, or that they got them from a family or friend's pet.
Tips to Avoid Getting Fleas
Fleas are blood-sucking insects and are just as likely to bite humans because we are warm-blooded mammals. What can you do about it? A flea has got to eat, but does it have to be on you or your pets? Here are some tips to reduce your risk of fleas so you can get back to enjoying the rest of your summer:
- Talk with your veterinarian to discuss the best flea control products for your pets.
- Examine your pets for fleas after they come in from outside. Consider using a flea shampoo on your pets when you bathe and groom them.
- Wash your pets bedding.
- Vacuum carpets and upholstery frequently.
- Do not leave cat or dog food outside because it might attract wildlife and rodents. You also want to remove any outside water sources, including fixing leaking faucets and removing any stagnant water.
- Keep garbage cans secure so that wildlife can’t get into the containers. If they find a food source once at your home, they will be back to try again.
If your pet spends a lot of time outdoors, they are apt to be rolling around in the grass or taking an afternoon siesta, which can increase their chances of picking up fleas and even ticks. Therefore, it would be smart to partner with a professional pest control company to help assist with the removal of any rodents and wildlife that could be carrying these pests from your property. They can also help implement methods of flea reduction to ensure your New England home doesn't end up with a flea infestation.
We’re Here to Help
DIY options can be disastrous and potentially harmful to your pets. One DIY method suggested flooding a yard with water. Let's be honest, if that worked, then wouldn't rain have eliminated fleas? Trying that DIY approach will probably only work on raising your water bill, but that's about it!
American Pest Solutions has been in business for over 100 years, and we are trained professionals at implementing real solutions to solve customers’ flea problems. Give us a call today for guaranteed flea elimination and control!
- Recent Blog Posts
- September 19, 2019 - What Time Of Year Are Bed Bugs Most Active In Springfield?
- September 17, 2019 - When Does Tick Season End In Hartford Connecticut?
- September 12, 2019 - Planning A September Wedding? Don't Forget Mosquito Control!
- Ants - (12)
- Bed Bugs - (34)
- Birds - (2)
- Biting Insects - (6)
- careers - (1)
- Carpenter Ants - (2)
- Carpenter Bees - (2)
- Carpet Beetles - (2)
- Clover Mites - (3)
- Cockroaches - (9)
- dangers and damages caused by norway rats - (1)
- termite control in ma and ct - (1)
- paper wasp facts - (1)
- carpenter bee - (1)
- summer stingers - (1)
- carpet beetles in your hartford home - (1)
- tick control and prevention in springfield - (1)
- paper wasp nest removal - (1)
- raccoon in the attic - (1)
- pest control expert - (1)
- View All Tags