Western Massachusetts' Quick Identification Guide To Common Household Pests
July 8, 2020
In: Bed Bugs
In Western Massachusetts, there are many different household pests that you might come across at one point or another. The following are common pests that you see on and off throughout the year, and some areas see more of one kind of pest than another. These pests are mostly harmless nuisance pests, however, a couple of them such as bed bugs can pose some minor health risks, and others like some spiders and rodents can be dangerous.
Here are many of the common household pests in the western part of our state:
Spiders: Some common spiders in the area are black widows, daddy-long-legs, wolf spiders, and house spiders. Only the black widow is dangerous to humans.
Bed bugs: These small, blood-sucking pests are best identified by their flattened reddish-brown bodies. They are about the size of an apple seed.
Rodents: Mice and rats can be dangerous as they damage property and can spread diseases.
Cockroaches: These are dangerous pests that can carry and spread many diseases. They are usually reddish-brown with large antennae.
Carpet beetles: These are small, often black, beetles that infest carpets and other areas.
Silverfish and earwigs: These are two harmless but disturbing insects that usually come indoors to escape the weather outside.
Signs of Pest Infestations
The signs of a pest infestation vary from pest to pest. For example, some pests such as earwigs or spiders you might notice suddenly appearing in your household. Other pests, like bed bugs and rodents, are often best noticed by the signs they leave behind. Here are some general signs of pest infestations to look out for:
- Pest droppings which are most noticeable when left by rodents
- Evidence of nests such as shredded paper
- Grease marks or tracks are a sign of rodent infestations
- Small, reddish-brown stains on sheets are signs of bed bugs
- Seeing a pest with your naked eye
- Physical damage to property
- Plants that have been damaged
Since signs of an infestation change based on the kind of pests you have invading your home, it’s best to reach out to pest control professionals to do an inspection. They can help you identify the problem quickly and accurately.
How To Get Rid Of Pest Infestations
There are many risks associated with pest infestations, and some pests cause major concerns. Here are some general issues that can arise with pest infestations:
- Spreading germs and diseases as is common with rodents and cockroaches
- Risk of being bitten which can happen with spiders, bed bugs, and rodents
- Allergic reactions to various pests
- Damage to property
Regardless of what kind of household pests you're dealing with, trying to get rid of infestations on your own can be fruitless. Some pests, like cockroaches, are really hard to get rid of, and most pests can keep coming back unless removed properly. Often, do-it-yourself methods end up costing more time, money, and frustration than if you called for professional help in the first place.
Effective Common Household Pest Control
If you’ve seen pests in your home or noticed the signs of any of the common household pests in the area, the best way to get rid of an infestation safely and effectively is to contact the experts at American Pest Solutions. We can eliminate any of the common pests in Western Massachusetts so you can keep your home and family safe. Reach out to us today.
- Recent Blog Posts
- September 17, 2021 - A Guide To Carpenter Bee Control In Western Massachusetts
- September 14, 2021 - Hartford Homeowners' Effective Cricket Control Guide
- September 10, 2021 - Why Are There Stink Bugs On My Western Massachusetts Property?
- Ants - (16)
- Bed Bugs - (45)
- Birds - (4)
- Biting Insects - (6)
- careers - (1)
- Carpenter Ants - (3)
- Carpenter Bees - (4)
- Carpet Beetles - (6)
- Clover Mites - (5)
- Cockroaches - (16)
- home pest control in springfield - (1)
- carpet beetle identification - (1)
- rat control - (1)
- massachusetts ants - (1)
- bed bug control options - (1)
- pests found in decorations - (1)
- green pest solutions - (1)
- facts about mice - (1)
- Rats - (1)
- damages caused by clover mites - (1)
- View All Tags