The Creepy Pest Under the Sink
October 23, 2019
Bugs are considered pests for various reasons. They can be frustrating, dangerous, and scary. Some of them bite, some sting, some are just creepy and unusual. The silverfish, named for their silver scale-like appearance, can be an unnerving insect to come across and can cause problems around your house. These nocturnal insects may appear in your bathroom or kitchen. Are they dangerous? How can you prevent them? Luckily, we at American Pest Solutions have the answers.
What Are Silverfish?
Silverfish are about ¾ of an inch long. They have three appendages that come off their back and six long legs. They’re one of the oldest insects in the world and are said to have been around for millions of years. They come inside in search of food, shelter, and moisture, and are more active at night.
Are Silverfish Dangerous?
Silverfish are less dangerous than other insects in that they don’t bite or sting humans. However, just because they can’t hurt you doesn’t mean you want them in your home. They often cause severe property damage because their food sources include paper, fabric, and food items. You may find books and documents destroyed. They can get into coffee or sugar, and they eat clothes, furniture, and bedding. If you have silverfish in your home, it may also be a sign that you have water damage somewhere in your house, since the humidity caused by a leak will be incredibly attractive to silverfish.
Where Do Silverfish Live?
Silverfish live in moist areas. You’ll often find them underneath the sink in your bathroom or kitchen. They may hideout behind the toilet, in the shower, or around your washer and dryer. They’re also likely to appear in your house after a leak from pipes, rain, or even just spilled water. The high moisture content attracts them, and they’ll stay as long as they can find areas of high humidity and enough food. Siverfish remain mostly hidden during the day and will come out at night in search of food, which they find mainly paper and grains.
Can You Prevent Silverfish?
There are some preventative measures you can take to keep silverfish away from your house and out of your nightmares. Here are some places to start:
- Eliminate moisture! Get a dehumidifier.
- Fix leaky pipes and other water damage immediately.
- Seal up cracks and holes in the exterior of your home.
- Clean damp areas, especially spaces under the sink or in cabinets of your bathroom.
- Inspect boxes for silverfish before bringing them inside.
If silverfish do happen to get inside, you can call American Pest Solutions for help removing them. If you ignore these pests, not only do they have the potential to scare you at night, but they can also cause property damage. These insects will terrorize your kitchen and can destroy important papers. American Pest Solutions can clear them out of your kitchen and bathroom before they cause more damage. What are you waiting for?
- Recent Blog Posts
- August 07, 2020 - Step-By-Step Guide To Effective Ant Control For Your Western Massachusetts Home
- July 30, 2020 - Why Are There So Many Mosquitoes In My Hartford County Yard?
- July 24, 2020 - How Dangerous Is It To Have Earwigs Around My Springfield Property?
- Ants - (14)
- Bed Bugs - (40)
- Birds - (2)
- Biting Insects - (6)
- careers - (1)
- Carpenter Ants - (2)
- Carpenter Bees - (3)
- Carpet Beetles - (3)
- Clover Mites - (4)
- Cockroaches - (12)
- join our team - (1)
- birds are harmful and destructive - (1)
- pests found in decorations - (1)
- home pest control in springfield - (1)
- pest prevention plan - (1)
- bed bug control options - (1)
- signs of powder post beetles - (1)
- massachusetts ants - (1)
- green pest solutions - (1)
- Rats - (1)
- View All Tags