What Smells Do Mosquitoes In Western Massachusetts Hate?
August 13, 2021
It is hard to go outside without coming in contact with pests. For the most part, people have gotten used to waving away or brushing off a bug once and a while. Some even allow pests like mosquitoes to bite them without worry. We are here today to warn you about letting mosquitoes bite you in Western Massachusetts. These pests are dangerous and could pose a serious risk to your health. For this reason, we recommend implementing some prevention tips to reduce your chances of being bitten. Here are some we recommend, including some smells that mosquitoes hate
Eliminate Mosquito Breeding Grounds
Despite being land creatures, mosquitoes build their nests inside bodies of water. More specifically, mosquitoes look for stagnant water as their eggs are fragile and need a calm place to gestate. Areas you might find mosquito eggs include puddles, ornate pools, birdbaths, ponds, and areas where rainwater has collected. Address these breeding grounds with these simple strategies.
- After it rains, go outside and pour out the water that has gathered inside containers, toys, and in other areas.
- Replace the water in birdbaths and ornate pools once every four days, or invest in birdbaths and ornate pools that have a mechanism to keep water circulating.
- Make sure your gutters are clear of debris and flowing properly. Do the same for out spouts and other drain systems around your property.
- Stock larger bodies of water with mosquitofish.
Guard Your Outdoor Lounging Areas
Do you have a covered porch? If so, how guarded is it against mosquitoes? To make sure these pests don’t bother you when relaxing in these areas, surround them with insect screens. In addition to this, consider installing some outdoor fans. If you didn’t know, mosquitoes are poor flyers and have difficultly landing in windy areas.
Make Yourself Less Attractive To Mosquitoes
In addition to eliminating breeding grounds and guarding your outdoor lounging areas, another way you can keep away mosquitoes is by making yourself less attractive. To help you with this, here are four strategies that will reduce your chances of being bitten.
- Wear light-colored clothing.
- Apply mosquito repellant to your body and clothing before going outside.
- Spend less time outdoors during dawn and dusk as this is when mosquitoes are most active.
- Avoid marshlands and swamps.
Some Smells Mosquitoes Dislike
Something we are asked frequently is: “Are there smells that deter mosquitoes?” Yes, there is. However, we do not generally recommend smell-based deterrents. They are not nearly as effective as other prevention methods, and they can be pricey. Keeping this in mind, mosquitoes dislike the smell of citronella, clove, cedarwood, lavender, peppermint, rosemary, lemongrass, and eucalyptus. If you have any of these scents lying around and you enjoy the aromas they give off, use them on your body or around your outdoor living areas for some mosquito protection.
How To Protect Your Property Against Mosquitoes
If you cannot stand mosquitoes and need them off your property, your best option is to hire a pest control professional. At American Pest Solutions, we put great care into providing top-tier mosquito control services for homeowners across Western Massachusetts. Using state-of-the-art equipment and advanced treatments, we will deter mosquitoes from your property. If you have an outdoor event center where you plan a wedding or other important occasion, consider taking advantage of our single service mosquito control. We will put protective measures in place to make sure your big day is not ruined by unwanted guests.
Call us today to discuss your options for service and find a solution for your Wester Massachusetts property’s mosquito problems.
- Recent Blog Posts
- June 20, 2022 - Are The Carpet Beetles In Western Massachusetts Causing You Trouble?
- June 17, 2022 - Stay Ahead Of The Bed Bug Infestation Brewing In Western Massachusetts
- June 10, 2022 - How To Keep Pesky Crickets Away From Your Western Massachusetts Home
- Ants - (17)
- Bed Bugs - (50)
- Birds - (5)
- Biting Insects - (6)
- careers - (1)
- Carpenter Ants - (3)
- Carpenter Bees - (5)
- Carpet Beetles - (9)
- Clover Mites - (6)
- Cockroaches - (18)
- rodents on hartford - (1)
- skunk identification - (1)
- tick control in hartford - (1)
- house mouse - (1)
- centipedes and millipedes in western mass - (1)
- bug identification in springfield - (1)
- carpenter bee facts - (1)
- earwig information - (1)
- wasp control - (1)
- indian meal moth eradication - (1)
- View All Tags