Mosquitoes In Western Massachusetts: A Necessary Evil
June 25, 2022
If you’re dealing with mosquitoes in Western Massachusetts, you’re likely wondering ‘what do mosquitoes do’ and what are the best ways to repel mosquitoes? Luckily, expert Western Massachusetts pest control is available to help you keep mosquitoes out of your yard for good.
Mosquitoes Are Much Needed To Maintain Our Eco-System
Even though mosquitoes are a buzzing nuisance pest and can deliver itchy bites (plus bring the potential of disease with them), they are a necessity for the ecosystem of many areas. Mosquitoes serve as an essential food source for several different birds, fish, and animals in the Western Massachusetts area. And, unknown to many, mosquitoes are also an effective pollinator for various area plants, flowers, and crops.
Without mosquitoes in our ecosystem, several species would likely suffer from a significant loss in food and pollination sources, and damage would occur to the whole ecosystem as a result.
The History Of Mosquito Control
Mosquito control has a lengthy and complex history in the United States that dates back as far as the 1800s; deemed necessary at that time to eradicate this pest and the many diseases that they have the potential to introduce to humans and other mammals. Around the 1940s, the most popular treatment option for mosquitoes was DDT, but as we know now, this chemical caused illnesses and liver problems among several species, including in humans.
By the 1960s, popularized were less toxic mosquito repellants, and mosquito control remained a major topic in the United States. Today, several different companies strive to control mosquitoes around the United States with eco-friendly mosquito control options that are effective and safe.
Why Do Mosquitoes Need Blood To Live?
The central part of what attracts mosquitoes to humans is that mosquitoes need to feed on blood. However, only female mosquitoes will bite humans and feed (male mosquitoes only feed off flower nectars). This is because female mosquitoes need the unique proteins in human and mammal blood to develop their eggs; without feeding on this blood, the eggs wouldn’t develop, and the mosquito species would eventually die off.
This bite from a mosquito is what transfers disease. Not every mosquito will be infected, but the more mosquitoes you regularly encounter, the higher your chances are of accidentally picking up an illness. This is why proper mosquito control is so important.
Everything You Should Know About Mosquito Control
In addition to natural ways to get rid of mosquitoes, such as planting citronella grass around your property and removing standing water in your yard, professional mosquito control is an essential step in protecting your property. The mosquito control services offered by American Pest Solutions can provide you with several beneficial things:
- The experts at American Pest Solutions will be able to identify your main mosquito problem areas and develop tailored solutions for your property.
- Mosquito control can effectively treat ongoing mosquito infestations around your yard. This can be done easily, without you having to waste time and money on DIY mosquito control products.
- Ongoing mosquito control is necessary if you want to stop this pest from returning. American Pest Solutions will work with you to develop an active treatment plan.
So, instead of wasting time trying to battle mosquitoes all by yourself, reach out to American Pest Solutions today for the best mosquito control in Western Massachusetts.
- Recent Blog Posts
- October 03, 2022 - What Every Western Massachusetts Resident Should Know About Bed Bugs
- October 01, 2022 - You Should Invest In Pest Control For Western Massachusetts Offices
- September 25, 2022 - The Trick To Keeping Carpenter Bees Off Your Hartford Property
- Ants - (18)
- Bed Bugs - (51)
- Birds - (5)
- Biting Insects - (7)
- careers - (1)
- Carpenter Ants - (3)
- Carpenter Bees - (6)
- Carpet Beetles - (9)
- Clover Mites - (6)
- Cockroaches - (20)
- millipede information - (1)
- Rats - (1)
- bed bugs in ct - (1)
- house mouse - (1)
- centipedes and millipedes in western mass - (1)
- carpet beetle prevention - (1)
- tick control in hartford - (1)
- indian meal moth eradication - (1)
- bug identification in springfield - (1)
- holiday decoration pest prevention tips - (1)
- View All Tags