Help! A Mosquito In Western Massachusetts Bit Me
October 24, 2022
Sometimes you may wonder why mosquitoes exist? Do they exist to annoy us? Is it too much to ask to be left alone while in the yard, enjoying a cool breeze and sipping tea? Mosquitoes don't think we deserve the opportunity to relish our outdoor experience without their presence. We go out to have some fun in the evening, and they see dinner!
If mosquitoes are ruining the enjoyment of the fall season in your yard, you need the Western Massachusetts pest control team from American Pest Solutions. Since 1913, four generations of the Russell family have been solving pest problems; we know how to stop mosquitoes from ruining your fall fun.
What Do Mosquito Bites Look Like?
Mosquitoes are not the only insect that bites. Ask these questions to determine if the bite came from spiders, ants, bed bugs, or mosquitoes.
Q: Is there a pattern?
A: Bed bugs bite in a cluster of three to five bites, but mosquitoes bite and fly away, so a random bite is possibly a mosquito bite.
Q: Is the wound under clothing?
A: The fangs of most spiders cannot penetrate clothing, nor can bed bugs bite through clothing, but mosquito bites can puncture clothing and pierce the skin.
Q: What is the appearance of the bite?
A: Spider bites have two holes from the fangs, but mosquitoes draw blood through a small tube.
Q: What is the size of the bite?
A: Due to the venom, spider bites are larger than mosquito bites.
Q: What is the reaction time?
A: When bed bugs bite, they inject an anesthetic and an anticoagulant; it may take a day before noticing the bite; however, the pain from a mosquito bite is immediate.
Only female mosquitoes bite humans, and they bite to get protein from your blood so they can produce eggs. Egg-laying areas are nearby if you are battling mosquitoes on your western Massachusetts property.
How To Stop Mosquito Bites From Itching?
Mosquito bites itch because the body produces histamines in response to the anticoagulant injected into our skin. Interestingly, it is not the anticoagulant that is the cause of our itching but the histamines. When you scratch the wound, your body releases more histamines causing more itching!
To stop the itch, try these suggestions:
- Coat the bite with honey. The anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties of honey will soothe the bothersome sore.
- Apply apple cider vinegar to the bite site; be sure to buy the one with the "mother."
- Squirt toothpaste on the bite. The baking soda and menthol in the toothpaste will stop the itching.
- Combine oatmeal and water and apply the paste to the wound. Leave the mixture on the bite location for at least 10 minutes before removing it.
- Apply baking soda mixed with water. This combination will help with the burning sensation and the desire to scratch.
- Hold ice on the wound. The cold will numb the skin and temporarily stop the itching.
These home remedies to keep mosquito bites from itching utilize many items you may already have at your home.
What To Put On Mosquito Bites
To achieve lasting relief from mosquitoes in western Massachusetts, apply a nonprescription hydrocortisone cream. Calamine lotion may also provide relief from a bite. If excessive itching continues, take a nonprescription antihistamine like Benadryl or Chlor-Trimeton.
Professional Mosquito Reduction Services For Western Massachusetts
You need American Pest Solutions' Mosquito Guard program for mosquito control. Our team members will treat your location every three to four weeks so you can enjoy the outdoors without fear of mosquitoes. Our proven pest control program reduces the transmission of diseases by mosquitoes protecting you and your family. Contact us today and get a free evaluation.
- Recent Blog Posts
- September 24, 2023 - How To Get Rid Of Cockroaches In Your Western Massachusetts Home
- September 14, 2023 - Stink Bug Solutions: Essential Steps To Keep Stink Bugs Away From Your Western Massachusetts Home
- September 09, 2023 - Keeping Crickets At Bay: Effective Prevention Techniques For Your Western Massachusetts Home
- Ants - (25)
- Bed Bugs - (58)
- Birds - (8)
- Biting Insects - (7)
- careers - (1)
- Carpenter Ants - (4)
- Carpenter Bees - (6)
- Carpet Beetles - (11)
- Clover Mites - (7)
- Cockroaches - (26)
- diseases from mice - (1)
- cockroaches in greenfield - (1)
- bug identification in springfield - (1)
- property inspection - (1)
- pest birds in connecticut - (1)
- moisture problems - (1)
- commercial bird control in ma and ct - (1)
- western mass carpenter ants - (1)
- fruit flies in western ma - (1)
- preventing bed bugs - (1)
- View All Tags