The Dangers Mice Bring To Western Massachusetts Homes
November 2, 2021
What are your feelings on mice? Do you find these furry creatures repulsive and terrifying to look at? Are you indifferent and don’t mind if they are crawling around inside your home? Or do you keep them as pets? Many people wouldn’t scream if they saw a mouse but know that these pests are a problem inside of area homes. To help you understand the dangers that mice bring to Western Massachusetts homes, here are some things to consider today.
Mice Spread Diseases Through Their Excrement
One common theme you will see in this article is that mice spread disease. The main way they do this is through their fecal matter and urine. These by-products are regularly laced with bacteria, pathogens, and parasitic worms. Mice pick up these sickness vectors by eating rotting meat and produce, the fecal droppings of other animals, and dead carcasses. If you suspect these pests are inside your home, be careful not to eat any food that has been left out or has been in a box you suspect mice have chewed into. As for cleaning up after mice, use gloves, a face mask, and any other protective gear you might have. This will minimize your exposure to harmful organisms and reduce your chances of getting sick.
Mice Spread Pests That Spread Disease
Another way mice spread diseases is by carrying pests like fleas and ticks into homes. These small blood-feeding pests can pick up harmful disease-causing organisms from people and animals. If the fleas and ticks that get inside your home on mice are infected, they may cause you, your family, or your pets to become sick. Some common diseases these pests spread are murine typhus, Lyme disease, Rocky Mountain spotted fever, and tularemia.
Mice Spread Diseases Through Their Bites
Of all the ways mice might get you sick, this is the least likely to happen. The only time mice will ever bite a person is if they feel trapped and have no easy way to get away. Even then, mice are less likely to have diseases that they spread through their saliva than they are to have harmful organisms inside of them. Keeping all of this in mind, the main disease mice spread through their bites is rabies, a transmittable sickness that many wild creatures contract and spread.
How To Prevent Mice
Now that you know the main reasons you don’t want mice inside your home, let’s talk about some helpful strategies to deter them from coming indoors. Here are some great prevention tips to start with that our experts recommend.
- Clear brush and debris away from around your home’s exterior.
- Trim your lawn and keep up with your landscaping.
- Store firewood and building materials a good distance from your home’s exterior.
- Repair damage to your siding, window/door screens, and door sweeps.
- Fill in holes, gaps, and cracks in your home’s exterior foundation using a caulking gun.
- Address moisture build-up around your home after it rains.
- Fix leaky piping and fixtures.
- Make sure your gutters are clean and working properly.
- Clean your home regularly.
- Store leftovers, pet food, and pantry items in tightly sealed containers.
How To Get Rid Of Mice
Mice are among the more difficult pests in our area to control. If you suspect these small rodents are causing trouble inside your Western Massachusetts home, do not try to handle them on your own. Instead, reach out to the pest experts at American Pest Solutions. Our team knows how to get rid of mice and will implement advanced strategies to identify and control these problematic pests.
Call today to schedule your home for a mouse control visit.
- Recent Blog Posts
- January 20, 2022 - Why Traps Aren't Enough To Get Rid Of Mice In Your Western Massachusetts Home
- January 11, 2022 - How to Keep Squirrels Away From Your Western Massachusetts Yard
- January 10, 2022 - Why You Should Call The Pros About Roaches In Your Western Massachusetts Home
- Ants - (16)
- Bed Bugs - (47)
- Birds - (5)
- Biting Insects - (6)
- careers - (1)
- Carpenter Ants - (3)
- Carpenter Bees - (4)
- Carpet Beetles - (7)
- Clover Mites - (5)
- Cockroaches - (18)
- Rats - (1)
- pest bird prevention - (1)
- millipede information - (1)
- bed bugs in ct - (1)
- skunk identification - (1)
- holiday decoration pest prevention tips - (1)
- house mouse - (1)
- birds are harmful and destructive - (1)
- stink bugs in western massachusetts - (1)
- earwig information - (1)
- View All Tags