Struggling To Get The Roaches Under Control In Western Massachusetts?
November 30, 2022
Living in Massachusetts, you've likely had an unwanted encounter with several types of pests. Unfortunately, one of our area's most annoying and disgusting pests is cockroaches. If you've seen a cockroach or suspect you have an infestation, there's no need to panic. The Western Massachusetts pest control professionals at American Pest Solutions are here to help.
The Types Of Cockroaches That Invade Western Massachusetts Homes
With over 4,000 types of cockroaches in the world, four are most likely to invade your Western Massachusetts home. These include:
- German Cockroaches: These roaches range from light to dark brown with two dark stripes behind their head. They have two wings, although they rarely fly, and grow to just over half an inch in length.
- Oriental Cockroaches: They are about one inch in length and are black or dark brown in color and glossy in appearance. Sometimes they can be confused with a beetle.
- American Cockroaches: The most prominent species found in homes, American cockroaches can grow over two inches in length and are reddish-brown. They have wings but are also skilled at scaling ceilings and walls.
- Wood Cockroaches: These roaches have flat brown bodies, long antennae, and average about one inch in length. They prefer to live outdoors.
The challenge with cockroach infestations is that they prefer to stay hidden, are nocturnal, and are very skittish. All types of cockroaches can run extremely fast. It's important to note that if you see a cockroach during the day, you likely have an infestation, as overcrowding is one of the only factors that will force cockroaches into the open.
Are Cockroaches Harmful To My Health?
Cockroaches are considered dangerous as they can trigger asthma or allergies. They can also carry bacteria such as streptococcus, staphylococcus, and salmonella that can cause illness if they contaminate food. While they do not bite, they can scratch you with their leg spines. They have also been known to play a role in carrying intestinal illnesses such as:
- Typhoid fever
Cockroaches are also noted as one of the most common sources of indoor allergens caused by enzymes in their excrement, eggs, shedding body parts, and saliva.
Why Can't I Get Rid Of Cockroaches Inside
As one of nature's most resilient survivors, and one of the most prevalent household pests, cockroaches are also one of the most difficult to eliminate. They are mainly hard to get rid of because they are master hiders and can conceal themselves in many areas. They can also reproduce very quickly, so even if you start with a small infestation, it can soon get out of control. If you're dealing with cockroaches in your home, contact a local pest control professional and take steps to limit their access to food, water, and shelter.
Effective & Safe Cockroach Control For Western Massachusetts Homes
Even the most well-kept, clean homes in Western Massachusetts can experience problems with cockroaches. With these pests being so good at hiding, the cockroach infestation can fester and grow, while the time and cost associated can expand rapidly. At American Pest Solutions, we provide prompt, 24-hour answering service to our residential customers to protect your home from the threat of infestation. In addition to taking care of cockroaches, our fully licensed American Pest Solutions service technicians have the education and experience to tackle other area pests.
Education is the key to our success. Our board-certified entomologist provides ongoing field training and specialized education for all our professional staff, ensuring you receive the most effective service possible. Simply ask if you'd like our entomologist to look at your property firsthand. He is available by appointment. When you need us most, American Pest Solutions is only a phone call away.
- Recent Blog Posts
- September 24, 2023 - How To Get Rid Of Cockroaches In Your Western Massachusetts Home
- September 14, 2023 - Stink Bug Solutions: Essential Steps To Keep Stink Bugs Away From Your Western Massachusetts Home
- September 09, 2023 - Keeping Crickets At Bay: Effective Prevention Techniques For Your Western Massachusetts Home
- Ants - (25)
- Bed Bugs - (58)
- Birds - (8)
- Biting Insects - (7)
- careers - (1)
- Carpenter Ants - (4)
- Carpenter Bees - (6)
- Carpet Beetles - (11)
- Clover Mites - (7)
- Cockroaches - (26)
- fruit flies in western ma - (1)
- western mass carpenter ants - (1)
- preventing bed bugs - (1)
- bug identification in springfield - (1)
- bed bug myths - (1)
- flea and tick prevention - (1)
- signs of cockroaches - (1)
- commercial bird control in ma and ct - (1)
- diseases from mice - (1)
- spring pest prevention - (1)
- View All Tags