Rat Control 101: What Every Hartford Property Owner Needs To Know
October 29, 2023
When homeowners hear scratching sounds in the walls, their thoughts tend to go to pests like mice or perhaps squirrels. But there is another culprit most people don’t want to imagine having in the house—rats. These pests are common intruders in Hartford residences and the chance of finding them in your home increases as we head into the colder months.
Welcome to Rat Control 101, where we provide the information you need to achieve successful pest control in Hartford. We’ll also describe their physical characteristics and the health risks they bring to your family. Read on to learn more about rats, including effective prevention tips, from the pros at American Pest Solutions.
Physical Characteristics of Rats: How To Identify A Rat
Norway and roof rats are the most common types of rats that infest homes, and you can usually tell these two species apart by their physical characteristics. Roof rats have long, thin bodies, large eyes and ears, and soft brown fur with black intermixed. Norway rats have a stockier build, smaller eyes and ears, and bristly brown fur.
Norway rats usually invade the lower levels of a house, while roof rats (as their name implies) enjoy nesting in the attic or rafters. If you have trouble identifying the type of rat in your home or need assistance getting rid of them, the pros at American Pest Solutions are here to help. Contact us today to learn more about our rodent control services in Hartford or to request an evaluation.
Rat-Borne Diseases: Common Illnesses Transmitted By Rats
Rats are dangerous pests to have inside your house. Not only can they cause significant damage to your property, but they are also a severe health risk. The following list includes some of the many diseases rats carry:
- Rat-bite fever
- Cowpox virus
Rats also frequently carry fleas and ticks that spread numerous diseases as well. These rodents can make you sick in a few ways, including direct contact with them or their waste, contamination of your food and surfaces, and inhaling their dried droppings. Contact us today at American Pest Solutions for help getting rid of rats in your house and protecting your family from future infestations.
Rat Prevention Tips: Eliminating Attractants And Sealing Entry Points
After rats in Hartford are out of the house, it is time to take steps to ensure they can’t get back in. Successful rat prevention involves remedying factors that may attract them and exclusion techniques to prevent entry.
Here are some tips you can start using right away:
- Seal gaps or holes on the house’s exterior, including spaces around utility pipes and wires, with wire mesh or steel wool.
- Cut tree limbs back away from the roofline.
- Repair any moisture issues, including leaky pipes and basement or crawl space dampness.
- Store food in pest-proof containers, and store trash in a receptacle with a secure lid.
Combining your efforts with expert rat control services is the best way to keep rats out. Contact us today at American Pest Solutions to learn how we can help get rid of rats in your home and prevent them from returning.
Call The Rat Control Experts: Ensuring Safe And Effective Elimination
Rats are challenging pests to eliminate from a home, and DIY measures often fail. The safest and most effective way to get rid of these pests is to work with a professional pest control company. Contact us today at American Pest Solutions to learn more about our residential and commercial pest control services in Hartford.
- Recent Blog Posts
- November 19, 2023 - Keep Pigeons At Bay: Expert Strategies For Effective Pigeon Control In Western Massachusetts
- November 17, 2023 - Effective Strategies For Squirrel Control: Tips For A Squirrel-Free Western Massachusetts Property
- November 16, 2023 - Conquering Pantry Pests: Tips And Techniques For A Bug-Free Kitchen In Hartford
- Ants - (25)
- Bed Bugs - (60)
- Birds - (9)
- Biting Insects - (7)
- careers - (1)
- Carpenter Ants - (4)
- Carpenter Bees - (6)
- Carpet Beetles - (11)
- Clover Mites - (7)
- Cockroaches - (27)
- preventing bed bugs - (1)
- bug identification in springfield - (1)
- bed bug myths - (1)
- flea and tick prevention - (1)
- spring pest prevention - (1)
- signs of cockroaches - (1)
- commercial bird control in ma and ct - (1)
- cockroaches in greenfield - (1)
- diseases from mice - (1)
- property inspection - (1)
- View All Tags