Protecting Yourself From Mosquitoes In Western Massachusetts
July 15, 2021
No one wants to deal with mosquitoes because they are such an annoying pest as they incessantly buzz around your head. These flying insects are also known for leaving behind itchy bites that can be distracting for days, and everyone wants to avoid being bitten.
Sadly, no one is immune to mosquito bites, but the truth is that these dangerous pests do prefer some people more than others for a variety of factors. Some of these things can be controlled while others cannot.
For example, mosquitoes are more likely to bite people who have been drinking or who are sweating a lot, which is something within our control. On the other hand, they are also more likely to go after pregnant women and people with type O blood type.
Because mosquitoes are so dangerous, knowing the steps you can take to avoid being bitten is very important. In this guide, you’ll learn how to identify mosquitoes and get some helpful tips on how to deter them from biting you.
What Mosquitoes Look Like
Mosquitoes have a rather bad reputation, so most people have a general idea of what they look like. However, they are occasionally mistaken for other flying bugs.
One of the best ways to tell mosquitoes apart from other insects is to look for a long, skinny mouthpart known as a proboscis. The female mosquitoes use this to drink blood, but it is also used for eating nectar. Most mosquitoes are a grayish color but the exact markings and coloration can vary.
Just How Dangerous Are Mosquitoes?
While there are other larger pests in Western Massachusetts that are dangerous, mosquitoes are the most dangerous of them all. In fact, they are considered to be one of the deadliest animals on the planet because of all the diseases they can spread.
The list of mosquito-borne illnesses is long, and many of the diseases are very serious. Some of the most common and well-known include malaria, Zika virus, dengue fever, West Nile virus, and encephalitis. Mosquito bites can also cause allergic reactions for some people.
Useful Mosquito Prevention Tips
To help protect yourself from the risks of mosquitoes, there are some measures you can take to reduce your chances of being bitten and to help keep mosquitoes away from your yard.
To start with, here are some ways to deter mosquitoes from biting you:
- Wear light-colored clothing as dark-colored clothing gives off more heat and attracts mosquitoes.
- Avoid going outside during dusk when mosquitoes are most active.
- Try not to eat any sweet-smelling food or drink outside.
- If you’ve been sweating, shower before spending time outside.
Next, you can take some steps to make your property less attractive to mosquitoes by:
- Removing standing water from your yard and making sure that rainwater can drain.
- Trimming foliage on a regular basis.
- If you have water features like hot tubs and fountains, keep them clean and ensure water cycles through.
The Best Way To Control Mosquitoes
Because mosquitoes can be prevalent in certain areas, it can be difficult to keep them away from your property without assistance. The overall most effective way to reduce the number of mosquitoes around your home or business is to get help from the experts at American Pest Solutions.
- Recent Blog Posts
- June 20, 2022 - Are The Carpet Beetles In Western Massachusetts Causing You Trouble?
- June 17, 2022 - Stay Ahead Of The Bed Bug Infestation Brewing In Western Massachusetts
- June 10, 2022 - How To Keep Pesky Crickets Away From Your Western Massachusetts Home
- Ants - (17)
- Bed Bugs - (50)
- Birds - (5)
- Biting Insects - (6)
- careers - (1)
- Carpenter Ants - (3)
- Carpenter Bees - (5)
- Carpet Beetles - (9)
- Clover Mites - (6)
- Cockroaches - (18)
- house mouse - (1)
- centipedes and millipedes in western mass - (1)
- rodents on hartford - (1)
- earwig information - (1)
- tick control in hartford - (1)
- indian meal moth eradication - (1)
- carpenter bee facts - (1)
- bug identification in springfield - (1)
- raccoons in hartford - (1)
- wasp control - (1)
- View All Tags