Pavement Ants In Massachusetts
August 24, 2022
Ants are social creatures that you can find in most areas of the world except for Antarctica. Ants are equipped with six legs and antennae and form large colonies with other members. Ant colonies have a caste-like system that designates members into groups that serve different roles, including those responsible for finding food sources, defending the colony, reproducing, and more.
Pavement ants (Tetramorium caespitum) originated in Europe and entered the U.S. aboard vessels. Pavement ants appear as dark brown or black and measure roughly 1/8 of an inch.
Where do pavement ants live outdoors? In natural outdoor settings, pavement ants form nests beneath concrete, rocks, and other materials that provide some shelter. Some nests with multiple queens often develop into massive colonies.
Are you struggling with pavement ants in your house? A properly qualified Western Massachusetts pest controller will closely assess the problem and has the knowledge regarding how to kill pavement ants and prevent them from returning. Contact a professional pest extermination company to ensure safe and effective solutions.
Do Pavement Ants Bite?
Pavement ants are unable to bite humans but can sting. Overall, pavement ants represent no danger to humans, and many primarily see them as a nuisance pest.
Do Pavement Ants Cause Structural Damage?
Pavement ants create their nests by digging out quantities of dirt from beneath sidewalks, driveways, and rocks. The dirt usually accumulates in small piles near the site of the nest. Although dramatic structure damage is unlikely, the displacement of the soil may make patios and sidewalks more unstable and could result in cracks. In some instances, pavement ants will form nests in structures that termites have previously damaged and might be vulnerable to.
Natural Ways To Deter Pavement Ants In Western Massachusetts
Some of the best ways of naturally limiting the likelihood of facing a large pavement ant invasion include:
- Limit attractants from the property exterior by thoroughly cleaning up after cookouts, removing fallen fruits, and never leaving bowls of uneaten pet food outside.
- You should store trash bags inside durable, sealed garbage receptacles in exterior areas.
- Keep branches, shrubs, and other forms of vegetation trimmed away from the structure, as these materials may serve as a “bridge” for ants seeking to access the property.
- Closely assess exterior areas around the foundation for any cracks or crevices that might have developed and fill them will a weatherproof sealant.
- Repair any damaged window screens, seal any gaps around window frames with weatherstripping, and install sweeps on exterior doors.
Many property owners also will visit online retailers or local stores and purchase do-it-yourself pest control options. Many of these products use clever marketing that embellishes the actual capabilities of eradicating ant problems. In reality, most of these mass-market sprays, baiting systems, and traps prove insufficient for completely ousting large ant infestations.
The best solution for safely and efficiently expelling ant infestations involves consulting with a local pest control professional.
How To Eradicate A Pavement Ant Infestation?
The team of specialists with American Pest Solutions understands the best treatment methods that will eliminate pavement ants that exist on your property in Western Massachusetts. When a professional from our team visits your property, they will carefully inspect the premises—inside and outside. Aside from having the best available treatment options, our technicians will identify problematic property conditions and make critical recommendations that can effectively prevent other pest intrusions.
In addition to ants, our professionals will quickly eliminate bed bugs, rodents, termites, and a host of other noxious pests that invade homes. Keep in mind that we always back the quality of our work with a satisfaction guarantee. We look forward to speaking with you to schedule a consultation.
For Immediate Assistance Call (888) 324-7025
- Recent Blog Posts
- June 05, 2023 - Guide To Avoid Summer Mosquitoes In Western Massachusetts
- May 24, 2023 - Let's Talk About Centipede Control In Western Massachusetts
- May 20, 2023 - Pavement Ants In Western Massachusetts Can Be A Real Nuisance
- Ants - (23)
- Bed Bugs - (56)
- Birds - (7)
- Biting Insects - (7)
- careers - (1)
- Carpenter Ants - (4)
- Carpenter Bees - (6)
- Carpet Beetles - (11)
- Clover Mites - (7)
- Cockroaches - (23)
- western mass carpenter ants - (1)
- diseases from mice - (1)
- zika virus - (1)
- pest birds in connecticut - (1)
- spring pest prevention - (1)
- fruit flies in western ma - (1)
- bug identification in springfield - (1)
- cockroaches in greenfield - (1)
- preventing bed bugs - (1)
- property inspection - (1)
- View All Tags