Dealing With A Cockroach Infestation In Western Massachusetts
July 15, 2022
Cockroaches in your home aren't just embarrassing. They're a health risk to you and your family. These filthy pests spread harmful diseases and cause allergic reactions. It's tough to get rid of cockroaches on your own. Keep reading to learn more about cockroaches and how to stop them from taking over your property.
How To Tell If You Have A Cockroach Infestation
Aside from seeing actual cockroaches on your property, one of the biggest signs of an infestation is noticing droppings. Cockroach droppings in your home look like coffee grounds and are less than a millimeter in size. You may also find dark smears or staining on your walls where the insects are the most active. Cockroaches lay their eggs in an oval, pill-shaped casing, which you might find throughout your home as well. A single egg capsule can contain up to 30 eggs.
When enough cockroaches are present, they give off a foul, musty odor. They also chew through just about everything, especially food containers. If you notice chew marks on packaging, chances are there's a pest trying to gain access to your snacks. Cockroaches grow rapidly and shed their skins in the process. Shed insect exoskeletons could also indicate a problem. At the first signs of a cockroach infestation, call a professional exterminator like American Pest Solutions.
How Cockroaches Are Harmful To Your Health
Cockroaches are known for living in squalor, as they nest in dumpsters and sewer systems. The filth they live in gets transferred onto them, and the cockroach becomes a spreader of harmful bacteria and disease. Although they're not aggressive pests that spread germs through stings or bites, they easily contaminate food sources and the surfaces around your home. If you or your family eats food touched by a cockroach, they could become very ill. Some of the bacteria and illnesses they spread include dysentery, listeriosis, salmonellosis, and typhoid fever.
Cockroach saliva, shed skins, and fecal matter contains particles that cause allergic reactions in some individuals. The reaction is fairly mild for most people, similar to seasonal allergies. However, cockroaches could induce asthma and allergy attacks that require emergency medical attention in some cases.
Five Tips For Effective Cockroach Control In Western Massachusetts
A cockroach infestation is alarming to discover and frustrating to deal with. Fortunately, there are several things you can do to keep them out of your home. Try implementing these five tips today:
- Keep your kitchen clean. Each night, wipe down all countertops and store food in airtight containers with locking lids. Avoid leaving your pet's food out overnight and store it in a safe container as well.
- Vacuum your home regularly and sweep up all crumbs. Vacuuming also helps remove cockroach eggs, feces, and skins which contain pheromones that could attract more roaches into your home.
- Declutter your storage spaces and throw away old papers and cardboard.
- Empty your trash frequently and store garbage in a receptacle with a lid. Keep outdoor garbage a significant distance from your home and keep garbage cans clean.
- Seal or patch holes in your exterior walls to prevent roaches from accessing your house. Caulk around pipes that lead to the outside. Inspect your windows and doors and close all gaps in the framing. Consider using weather stripping for extra coverage.
Unfortunately, you might still wind up with an infestation, even after taking preventative measures. The best way to kill cockroaches and keep them away for good is to rely on professional pest control services.
How To Keep Cockroaches Away From Your Home
American Pest Solutions has been a top provider of pest control in Western Massachusetts since 1913. Our experienced team of exterminators uses the latest technology to eradicate even the toughest cockroach infestations. For more information on how we can help or to schedule a service appointment, give us a call.
- Recent Blog Posts
- October 03, 2022 - What Every Western Massachusetts Resident Should Know About Bed Bugs
- October 01, 2022 - You Should Invest In Pest Control For Western Massachusetts Offices
- September 25, 2022 - The Trick To Keeping Carpenter Bees Off Your Hartford Property
- Ants - (18)
- Bed Bugs - (51)
- Birds - (5)
- Biting Insects - (7)
- careers - (1)
- Carpenter Ants - (3)
- Carpenter Bees - (6)
- Carpet Beetles - (9)
- Clover Mites - (6)
- Cockroaches - (20)
- carpet beetle prevention - (1)
- indian meal moth eradication - (1)
- Rats - (1)
- raccoons in hartford - (1)
- bed bugs in ct - (1)
- holiday decoration pest prevention tips - (1)
- preventing carpet beetles - (1)
- termites in western ma - (1)
- squirrel removal assistance - (1)
- birds are harmful and destructive - (1)
- View All Tags