Are You Struggling To Deal With Earwigs In Hartford?
November 5, 2022
In all honesty, you don't want to share your home with any pest. But an earwig is one of the most frightening to find in your Hartford home. Not only do they cause quite the alarm, but they can also create significant problems inside and outside your home. While they are not destructive like carpenter ants or termites, you'll want them gone quickly. As a nuisance pest, the easiest and most effective approach is to trust the Hartford pest control professionals to eliminate the infestation.
Do Earwigs Harm Humans?
While earwigs may appear intimidating because of their pincers, they are not dangerous bugs. They can use their forceps to grasp onto a finger if provoked, but they do not sting and are not poisonous. The physical act of pinching using their forceps might break skin or cause discomfort to humans; however, these occurrences are rare. No known injuries caused by an earwig bite require emergency treatments, and the folklore that they get into your ears and lay eggs or enter the brain is false. Not only are they harmless to humans, earwigs have zero interest in settling in your home but are often accidentally brought in from outside. The most harm earwigs in your garden can cause is to your plants and soft fruits. They invade in large numbers and cause problems. If you see earwigs inside your home, you may have moisture damage, wood rot, and mold on the outside of your home that is attracting them.
The Positives About Having Earwigs Inside
Most of the time, earwigs can be beneficial pests as they are sanitary and help clean up the environment by feeding on live and dead insects and decaying plant material. While they can destroy gardens, they serve a purpose in the ecosystem. Some of the positive aspects of having earwigs in your house include:
- Pollinators: Earwigs transfer pollen from flower to flower, allowing the plants to reproduce.
- Decomposers: Earwigs help remove dead insects and decompose leaves from your Hartford home.
- Pest Control: Earwigs eat other pests, including caterpillars, snails, and aphids.
While there are a few benefits to having earwigs in and around your home, if they are causing damage to your home or garden, it's essential to contact pest control professionals to eliminate them for good.
Five Lesser-Known Facts About Earwigs
If earwigs are making their presence known in your Hartford home or garden, you may want to know more about these pests beyond their alarming appearance. Here are five interesting facts that you probably didn't know:
- Earwigs will fiercely protect their young.
- They don't use their wings. Even though they have wings and can fly, they typically don't.
- There are a variety of earwig species.
- They're omnivores. Earwig's pincers allow them to enjoy meals ranging from garden plants and composting leaves to anthropoids.
- They won't go near your ears.
While their intimidating appearance and misleading name might fool you, earwigs are more of a nuisance pest. Even with some species of earwigs' ability to release a stinky liquid from their abdomen, they are not toxic to people or pets. However, nobody wants to be around a smelly bug, so it's best to leave the pest control methods to the professionals if you're dealing with an active infestation.
How To Keep Earwigs Away From Your Hartford Home
Getting help from a professional pest control company is the most effective method of earwig control. The experts at American Pest Solutions have the technology, knowledge, and experience necessary to eliminate your earwig infestation. With over 100 years of local experience, we are committed to providing the best solutions to your specified needs.
At American Pest Solutions, we provide prompt, 24-hour answering service to our residential customers to ensure your home is protected from the threat of infestation. We offer residential pest control services that help defend your home from pests common to Hartford, including earwigs. American Pest Solutions is only a phone call away when you need us the most.
For Immediate Assistance Call (888) 324-7025
- Recent Blog Posts
- March 30, 2023 - The Best Way To Handle A Carpet Beetle Infestation In Western Massachusetts
- March 25, 2023 - Can Professional Pest Control Help Get Rid Of Fleas In Western Massachusetts?
- March 20, 2023 - Pest Spotlight: How To Handle Termites In Hartford
- Ants - (21)
- Bed Bugs - (54)
- Birds - (7)
- Biting Insects - (7)
- careers - (1)
- Carpenter Ants - (4)
- Carpenter Bees - (6)
- Carpet Beetles - (11)
- Clover Mites - (7)
- Cockroaches - (23)
- pest birds in connecticut - (1)
- bug identification in springfield - (1)
- spring pest prevention - (1)
- fruit flies in western ma - (1)
- commercial bird control in ma and ct - (1)
- cockroaches in greenfield - (1)
- preventing bed bugs - (1)
- property inspection - (1)
- bed bug myths - (1)
- moisture problems - (1)
- View All Tags