Prevention Tips For Western Massachusetts Cockroaches
December 25, 2022
If you’ve ever asked the question, “Why are there cockroaches in my house?” or wondered how cockroaches get in your house, it’s important to understand more about this resourceful pest that can invade even the cleanest, most well-kept properties.
In the United States, there are over 70 species of cockroaches, so it’s inevitable that some cockroaches will find a way into Western Massachusetts homes. If you see signs of an infestation, it’s crucial to contact American Pest Solutions for cockroach pest control in Western Massachusetts.
Types Of Roaches That Can Be Found In Western Massachusetts
Cockroaches in Western Massachusetts are annoying pests that have long been reviled by homeowners, but they’re more than just nuisance pests. These bugs may present serious health risks to humans if they find their way inside your home. There are many types of cockroaches, but here are the four most common cockroaches to look out for:
- American cockroaches are reddish brown with a yellowish figure-eight pattern on the back of their head. They are the largest of the house-infesting roaches. They are located across the United States and worldwide.
- German cockroaches are light brown to tan in color with two dark stripes on their backs. They are oval with six legs and antennae. This species can be found throughout the United States. This is the most common cockroach found worldwide.
- Oriental cockroaches are large and shiny black to dark reddish-brown and can be found in the northern region of the United States. This species gives off a foul, musty odor and is considered one of the filthiest of all the cockroaches.
- Brown-banded cockroaches are brown with obvious banding across their wings. This species first entered the United States in 1903 and is now found throughout the United States.
How Roaches Spread Around Dangerous Pathogens
Do cockroaches spread disease? Absolutely. Cockroaches can present serious health risks if they find their way inside your home. In fact, all types of cockroaches pick up germs on the spines of their legs as they crawl through garbage and other decaying matter, which can be transferred to humans through food contamination.
They are known to spread, at the very least, 33 kinds of bacteria, including E. coli and salmonella, as well as parasitic worms and at least seven other types of pathogens dangerous to humans.
In addition, they can trigger asthma and allergy attacks as their droppings, saliva, and shed skin contain potent allergens which exacerbate asthma symptoms, especially in children.
Five Easy And Effective Cockroach Prevention Tips For Around The House
Here are some tips on how to prevent cockroaches in your home:
- Keep counters, sinks, tables, and floors clear of crumbs and clutter.
- Do not let dishes pile up in the sink or leave spills unattended on the table or on the counter.
- Store food in airtight containers and avoid leaving pet food out in the open.
- Vacuum at least once a week to remove food particles.
- Run water periodically in spare bathrooms to keep the u-traps filled.
If these tips fail and further help is needed, a professional pest control service can show you how to get rid of a cockroach infestation.
Professional Cockroach Control Is The Best Solution
Sometimes, despite having a clean and sanitary home, cockroaches will invade. Once these pests have gained a foothold, they’re hard to remove without professional help. If a cockroach infestation is suspected, contact American Pest Solutions to schedule a free evaluation and to learn more about our residential and commercial pest control services in Western Massachusetts.
- Recent Blog Posts
- September 24, 2023 - How To Get Rid Of Cockroaches In Your Western Massachusetts Home
- September 14, 2023 - Stink Bug Solutions: Essential Steps To Keep Stink Bugs Away From Your Western Massachusetts Home
- September 09, 2023 - Keeping Crickets At Bay: Effective Prevention Techniques For Your Western Massachusetts Home
- Ants - (25)
- Bed Bugs - (58)
- Birds - (8)
- Biting Insects - (7)
- careers - (1)
- Carpenter Ants - (4)
- Carpenter Bees - (6)
- Carpet Beetles - (11)
- Clover Mites - (7)
- Cockroaches - (26)
- signs of cockroaches - (1)
- bug identification in springfield - (1)
- western mass carpenter ants - (1)
- diseases from mice - (1)
- commercial bird control in ma and ct - (1)
- pest birds in connecticut - (1)
- spring pest prevention - (1)
- fruit flies in western ma - (1)
- zika virus - (1)
- cockroaches in greenfield - (1)
- View All Tags