Keeping Crickets At Bay: Effective Prevention Techniques For Your Western Massachusetts Home
September 9, 2023
Cricket control should be a priority for anyone who wants to keep their family healthy year-round. Reliable Western Massachusetts pest control services can help you resolve cricket infestations to keep your home happy and healthy.
But we’ll talk more about that toward the end of the article. First, we will discuss some key information about crickets, such as how to identify them, the problems they cause, and prevention tips that you can start using today.
With the introduction out of the way, let’s talk about how to stop crickets from becoming more than a nuisance.
Physical Characteristics Of Crickets: What To Look For
So what do crickets look like? It seems like a simple question at first, but it’s easy to confuse crickets with similar types of insects.
In terms of size, crickets are around an inch long at most, and they usually have yellow-brown to black coloring, depending on the species. In contrast, grasshoppers are usually green in color.
Crickets in Western Massachusetts have long back legs, and, of course, another easy way to identify nearby crickets is by their sound. Cricket chirps have a famous sound, and while some may find this sound relaxing, these chirps are also a sign that nearby crickets could cause problems for your home. Let’s look at what some of those problems are.
Cricket Problems: More Than Just A Nuisance Noise
Unwanted cricket sounds are an annoying problem, but they’re far from the only issues that crickets can cause.
Notably, crickets can cause health issues. While it’s possible for crickets to bite, these bites aren’t dangerous. Rather, the health risks encountered with crickets have to do with the pathogens they carry and spread, such as E. coli and salmonella, both of which can lead to extreme discomfort and health complications for humans. Cricket droppings can be harmful to humans as well, causing rashes or skin lesions.
Additionally, crickets, in sufficient numbers, can cause damage to clothing and textiles, so you definitely don’t want to have them inside your home. Crickets have more of an impact than just making noise, and this is exactly why you should take care to prevent crickets from gathering around your home or sneaking inside.
Cricket Prevention: Naturally Effective Tips
The best way to keep crickets away is to prevent them from getting inside in the first place. There are plenty of natural prevention methods that do not involve pesticides you can use to keep crickets away naturally. These include:
- Check window screens for rips or tears and repair or replace them as needed.
- Use weatherstripping and door sweeps to seal around windows and doors.
- Keep your trash bins closed tightly.
- If you compost, keep it far from the exterior walls of your house.
- Make sure to clean your gutters regularly.
- Keep your lawn mowed and landscaping maintained.
- Vacuum rugs and carpets indoors, where crickets can lay eggs.
Ideally, these tips should become habits for your home, helping to discourage crickets from wanting to hang around your house.
Professional Pest Control: A Great Way To Get Rid Of Crickets
How do you get rid of crickets once and for all? Easy, just work with a professional home pest control service in Western Massachusetts.
If you’ve noticed the presence of a cricket infestation in or around your home or if you’re concerned about an infestation developing in the future, then professional pest control is a great option.
Professionals have the necessary equipment, knowledge, and experience to ensure your home is completely cricket-free. We can also identify problems that could lead to an infestation in the future and help you to address them.
To remove a cricket infestation, contact American Pest Solutions today and ask to set up an appointment. We can also answer any questions you might have and keep crickets and other pests out of your home.
- Recent Blog Posts
- November 19, 2023 - Keep Pigeons At Bay: Expert Strategies For Effective Pigeon Control In Western Massachusetts
- November 17, 2023 - Effective Strategies For Squirrel Control: Tips For A Squirrel-Free Western Massachusetts Property
- November 16, 2023 - Conquering Pantry Pests: Tips And Techniques For A Bug-Free Kitchen In Hartford
- Ants - (25)
- Bed Bugs - (60)
- Birds - (9)
- Biting Insects - (7)
- careers - (1)
- Carpenter Ants - (4)
- Carpenter Bees - (6)
- Carpet Beetles - (11)
- Clover Mites - (7)
- Cockroaches - (27)
- cockroaches in greenfield - (1)
- diseases from mice - (1)
- zika virus - (1)
- property inspection - (1)
- moisture problems - (1)
- pest birds in connecticut - (1)
- western mass carpenter ants - (1)
- bug identification in springfield - (1)
- fruit flies in western ma - (1)
- preventing bed bugs - (1)
- View All Tags