How To Get Rid Of Pavement Ants In Western Massachusetts
July 7, 2021
Did you know that ants are one of the most common pests found in Western Massachusetts? Many property owners will deal with an ant infestation at some point or another, so knowing how to identify, prevent, and eradicate these tiny pests is useful for any home or a business owner.
There are many different species of ants in Western Massachusetts, and some of them are harmless while others can cause property damage or health risks. One of the most common is the pavement ant, and luckily, these ants aren’t considered dangerous. However, they can still cause some big problems.
In order to know if you’re dealing with pavement ants or another similar-looking ant variety, we’ve put together a list of identifying characteristics:
- Pavement ants are dark brown to black and grow to be only about an ⅛ of an inch long.
- Their thoraxes have tiny spines.
- They appear to have vertical striping patterns on their heads and bodies.
- These ants are usually found in pavement cracks or under stones and are often seen in large groupings.
What Issues Can Pavement Ants Cause?
While some ants can be more of a concern, this doesn’t mean that pavement ants are a species you want around your property. While they aren’t considered dangerous, they are very invasive, so once an infestation begins it can be nearly impossible to remove without assistance.
While pavement ants are usually found outdoors, they can make their way into buildings, and they are sometimes found around bricks and other masonry work. Because their colonies are large and contain so many individuals, it makes it very difficult to get rid of them all and keep them from coming back.
Can You Get Rid Of Pavement Ants On Your Own?
Pavement ants have such large colonies that it’s very difficult to get rid of them. They often create nests deep in the soil, and when they get indoors, many individuals can get into kitchens in search of food. Also, while not dangerous, they can sting if provoked, and this is never pleasant to experience.
The best way to protect your home from these ants is to get help from the experts at American Pest Solutions. We provide residential and commercial pest control plans that will both prevent and eradicate any ant infestations. Get started today by reaching out online or giving us a call.
Five Ant Prevention Tips
While it’s nearly impossible to remove pavement ants using DIY attempts, there are some things you can do to help prevent them in the first place. The following are the best ant prevention steps you can follow:
- Keep garbage cans covered with secure lids and clean up any trash from your yard.
- Store pet food indoors. And, if eating outside, clean up food and drink spills right away as pavement ants will eat all kinds of food sources.
- Always keep kitchen areas cleaned including doing dirty dishes and sweeping and mopping floors on a regular basis.
- Remove any piles of decaying organic debris including dead leaves and grass clippings.
- Repair any holes or cracks in the walls and foundation using caulk and foam. Although these ants might still be able to get inside, you can help deter them by reducing entry points.
- Recent Blog Posts
- January 20, 2022 - Why Traps Aren't Enough To Get Rid Of Mice In Your Western Massachusetts Home
- January 11, 2022 - How to Keep Squirrels Away From Your Western Massachusetts Yard
- January 10, 2022 - Why You Should Call The Pros About Roaches In Your Western Massachusetts Home
- Ants - (16)
- Bed Bugs - (47)
- Birds - (5)
- Biting Insects - (6)
- careers - (1)
- Carpenter Ants - (3)
- Carpenter Bees - (4)
- Carpet Beetles - (7)
- Clover Mites - (5)
- Cockroaches - (18)
- holiday decoration pest prevention tips - (1)
- preventing carpet beetles - (1)
- Rats - (1)
- stink bugs in western massachusetts - (1)
- ant prevention - (1)
- squirrel removal assistance - (1)
- bed bugs in ct - (1)
- millipede information - (1)
- signs of powder post beetles - (1)
- skunk identification - (1)
- View All Tags