Don’t Bring Bed Bugs Into Your Western Massachusetts Home On Accident
December 5, 2022
In: Bed Bugs
Bed bugs are an annoying and common household pest. They might seem to come out of nowhere, but there are steps you can take to prevent bed bug infestations in your home. And if you ever do come across these pests, call American Pest Solutions for bed bug treatment and pest control in Western Massachusetts.
How Bed Bugs Travel In Western Massachusetts
Unfortunately, bed bugs are excellent hitchhikers. If they can crawl onto a suitcase, jacket, or couch, they will. Although they’re big enough to be visible to the naked eye, they’re also hard to see if you aren’t looking for them. Bed bugs are only 1/4 of an inch long, flat, and dark-colored. They also breed quickly, hide easily, and are hard to kill. By the time you see a bed bug in your home, there’s a good chance there are more hiding somewhere.
Are Bed Bugs Dangerous?
Bed bugs don’t spread disease, but they do bite. Bed bugs feed on blood to survive, and they’ll get that blood from whatever host they can. These pests are commonly found in mattresses and on soft furniture, which makes it easy for them to find people to bite. Bed bug bites usually appear as red, itchy welts on the skin.
Because bed bugs reproduce quickly, an infestation can happen incredibly fast. Female bed bugs can lay as many as five eggs every single day, and it only takes 21 days for those eggs to become fully grown adults.
How To Prevent Bringing Bed Bugs Into Your Home
It’s easier to prevent an infestation than it is to treat one. By taking a few precautions, you can keep bed bugs out of your home. Be careful with your belongings in public spaces. One of the most common ways bed bugs enter a home is by hitching a ride on luggage, such as
- suitcases and backpacks, as well as coats and other articles of clothing. Ideally, you should keep your personal items away from anyone else’s as well as off of any surfaces that could be infested with bed bugs. This could include hotel beds and carpets, public coat closets, even crowded public transit. This won’t always be possible, which is why it’s important to look at your belongings before coming home and check for evidence of bed bugs.
- Carefully examine secondhand furniture and clothing before bringing it home. Whether you got a good deal on a couch or a sweater, always be sure to thoroughly inspect it before you take it into your house. Bed bugs can survive several months without food, so just leaving an item alone for a while won’t get rid of them. Look for marks that could be crushed bugs as well as living ones. You might also see dark brown or black stains that come from bed bugs’ fecal matter.
- Reduce clutter and vacuum frequently. Bed bugs are so small that they can hide just about anywhere, and they will. They like to hide in dark, tight spaces where they can go unnoticed. By reducing clutter in your home, you can eliminate a lot of hiding places. And for the ones you can’t get rid of, vacuum regularly to get rid of any bugs that might have snuck in.
These three methods might seem minor, but they can go a long way toward preventing bed bug infestation. And when it comes to bed bug control in Western Massachusetts, American Pest Solutions will help keep your home protected.
What You Should Do If You Find Bed Bugs In Your Home
Because bed bugs are so resilient, your best shot at eliminating a bed bug infestation is to call a professional bed bug pest control service for your home. Although store-bought pesticides can be somewhat effective against bed bugs, they can be dangerous to use without proper training and equipment. They also might not treat the whole infestation. When it comes to bed bugs, the best way to treat an infestation is to let the professionals handle it. American Pest Solutions has the know-how and the equipment to fully treat a bed bug infestation. We’ll perform a thorough inspection, then create a treatment plan that works for you and your family. Call today to learn more about your pest-free future!
- Recent Blog Posts
- January 25, 2023 - House Mouse Control Made Simple For Western Massachusetts Homeowners
- January 20, 2023 - How To Properly Handle Rat Infestations In Western Massachusetts
- January 15, 2023 - The Easiest Way To Get Rid Of Silverfish In Western Massachusetts
- Ants - (19)
- Bed Bugs - (52)
- Birds - (7)
- Biting Insects - (7)
- careers - (1)
- Carpenter Ants - (4)
- Carpenter Bees - (6)
- Carpet Beetles - (10)
- Clover Mites - (7)
- Cockroaches - (22)
- paper wasps in western mass - (1)
- house mouse - (1)
- bed bug tips for homeowners - (1)
- spring pest prevention - (1)
- free bed bug evaluation - (1)
- preventing pest birds - (1)
- Rats - (1)
- raccoons in hartford - (1)
- pest control professionals - (1)
- bed bugs in ct - (1)
- View All Tags