When Does Tick Season End In Hartford Connecticut?
September 17, 2019
How often do you find yourself asking the question, “when is it going to end?”? We all ask this sooner or later, whether it's about long car rides, a bad movie, or in today's case, tick season. If you are interested in finding out how long tick season lasts here in Hartford, Connecticut, stick around, your answers are coming right up.
Before we get into when tick season ends, let’s first talk a little about ticks themselves. Here are some key points you should know.
- Ticks are blood-sucking pests that require a host to survive. More often than not, we, or our pets, are said hosts.
- Despite popular opinion, ticks are not insects but rather arachnids making them a close relative to spiders.
- Ticks cannot jump or fly but instead cling to swaying grass and other forms of plant growth waiting for passing by people or animals to climb on.
- Once a tick bites you, you are stuck with them for a while. Typically, this can be anywhere from 24 to 48 hours if they go unnoticed or unaddressed.
- Some species of ticks such as the deer tick can survive through the coldest parts of winter.
Now with these things in mind, let's talk a little bit about tick season. If you noticed that last fact then you may already be thinking "if ticks don't go away in winter, does that mean their season is year-round?". The truth is, ticks don't have an end to their season. They do, however, get much slower and less active when the weather cools down meaning you don’t have to worry about them as much.
Don’t get discouraged, just because ticks can be around the entire year does not mean you are helpless against them. To protect yourself and your property against ticks, here are some significant steps you can take.
- Keep your grass short and well maintained.
- Trim hedges and other greenery often.
- Avoid walking in areas with high grass and thick foliage.
- Tuck your pant legs into your socks if you plan on going where ticks may be hiding.
- Check yourself thoroughly for ticks after being outdoors. If you find any, place them in a bag and freeze them. (This is a medical precaution.)
Consider investing in professional tick treatments for your property.
The last step above will render the most success in keeping ticks off your property, especially if you trust the pros here at American Pest Solutions to provide the treatments. You will be hard-pressed to find any other pest control company around who has been successfully dealing with pests for as long as we have, so give us a call today. We will make sure you get the attention and care you deserve.
- Recent Blog Posts
- August 03, 2022 - How To Keep Earwigs In Western Massachusetts Out Of Your Home
- August 01, 2022 - Pack Rats In Massachusetts: Know The Signs
- July 30, 2022 - What To Do If You've Been Bitten By A Centipede In Hartford
- Ants - (17)
- Bed Bugs - (50)
- Birds - (5)
- Biting Insects - (7)
- careers - (1)
- Carpenter Ants - (3)
- Carpenter Bees - (5)
- Carpet Beetles - (9)
- Clover Mites - (6)
- Cockroaches - (19)
- millipede information - (1)
- termites in western ma - (1)
- Rats - (1)
- house mouse - (1)
- centipedes and millipedes in western mass - (1)
- free mosquito evaluation - (1)
- bed bugs in ct - (1)
- carpenter ant control in hartford ct - (1)
- indian meal moth eradication - (1)
- tick control in hartford - (1)
- View All Tags