How to Keep Squirrels Away From Your Western Massachusetts Yard
January 11, 2022
While most people think that squirrels are a harmless pest, this critter can actually bring several risks to your home. Understanding the dangers associated with squirrels is the first step in preventing them from your property.
The Dangers Associated with Squirrels
Most individuals in Western Massachusetts think of squirrels as just small rodents with slender to plump bodies, bushy tails, and larger eyes. Many people don’t pay them any mind and even encourage them by giving out food, but there are some risks associated with squirrels that are important to know about.
When squirrels get into your home or enter your property, there is a danger of them attacking you, your children, or pets if they feel like they, or their young, have been threatened. Squirrels are also a rodent with a constant need to chew – this can result in destruction in your home and around your property as they chew their way through electrical wires, plumbing pipes, and wooden structures.
Squirrels may also carry with them several dangerous diseases such as leptospirosis, salmonellosis, tularemia, and, in more rare cases, rabies. In addition, squirrels will often act as hosts to pests such as fleas, ticks, and mites. When they enter your home or property, they can introduce an infestation of these insects as well.
Western Massachusetts Squirrel Prevention
There are a few prevention tactics that you may undertake to stop squirrels from entering your property and invading your home:
- Squirrels are greatly attracted to bird feeders and the easy source of food they provide. Deter squirrels from ever entering your property by removing or reducing access to bird feeders.
- Squirrels may enter your home in several ways. To prevent this, inspect your home and seal any cracks or gaps in windows, doors, roof, and the foundation. This will stop the squirrels from coming and going into your home as they please.
- Clear tree branches away from your home. This is especially helpful in preventing squirrels from moving from nearby trees on your property into your attic or other interior areas.
- Ensure that all food and trash both inside and out of your home is properly stored. Squirrels will take any food they can get, so properly sealing up food waste and trash is essential in deterring this rodent.
- Use a yard deterrent to scare away squirrels. A plastic figurine such as an owl or scarecrow can greatly reduce the number of squirrels willing to enter your property and then into your home. You may also want to plant squirrel deterrent plants in your yards, such as daffodils and geraniums – squirrels don’t like the odor of these plants.
- Squirrels can be attracted to any areas of moisture or standing water. Check both inside and out of your house for leaks and clean your gutters to ensure there are no pools of water to attract this rodent.
Professional Squirrel Assistance
Squirrels may seem like a harmless presence in your Western Massachusetts yard, but they can actually bring with them a serious risk for home and property destruction or disease. For more advice and assistance in removing squirrels, contact the professionals at American Pest Solutions. The experts will evaluate your exact problem and provide targeted solutions that leave your home completely squirrel-free.
- Recent Blog Posts
- August 03, 2022 - How To Keep Earwigs In Western Massachusetts Out Of Your Home
- August 01, 2022 - Pack Rats In Massachusetts: Know The Signs
- July 30, 2022 - What To Do If You've Been Bitten By A Centipede In Hartford
- Ants - (17)
- Bed Bugs - (50)
- Birds - (5)
- Biting Insects - (7)
- careers - (1)
- Carpenter Ants - (3)
- Carpenter Bees - (5)
- Carpet Beetles - (9)
- Clover Mites - (6)
- Cockroaches - (19)
- new england - (1)
- bed bugs in ct - (1)
- millipede information - (1)
- termites in western ma - (1)
- house mouse - (1)
- tick control in hartford - (1)
- centipedes and millipedes in western mass - (1)
- free mosquito evaluation - (1)
- bug identification in springfield - (1)
- carpenter ant control in hartford ct - (1)
- View All Tags