Don’t Let Cockroaches Make Your House a Home
January 15, 2019
Most people think that when the cold winter months roll in that all of their insect pest problems will disappear. Well, that couldn’t be further from the truth. In reality, many of those insects and pests seek refuge inside homes. That is, unfortunately, the case with cockroaches. What really compounds the problem is that cockroaches become more common around the holidays because of the increase in food, crumbs, and trash during that time. So now is the time to take action because these little pests are scrambling to find shelter, and once they find a way into your home, they will remain there throughout the rest of the winter.
Cockroaches come in a variety of species, but the most common is the German cockroach. They can invade homes, apartments, hospitals, and businesses of all kinds, especially where food is present. They damage items around homes that contain glue, give off a foul odor and can contaminate food, resulting in people experiencing diarrhea, dysentery, Salmonella, and food poisoning. And some people can experience asthma from roaches’ dried remains and feces.
In order to keep your home from acquiring a cockroach infestation, and keep your family and friends from serious illnesses, you can start with these DIY prevention tips:
- Clean up food and drink spills immediately.
- Vacuum furniture and floors where food crumbs may have been dropped.
- Store all foods in sturdy air-tight containers.
- Keep an eye on areas next to and behind ovens and refrigerators for roaches.
- Declutter rooms where roaches can hide.
- Take out the trash on a regular basis.
- Store outdoor trash in bins with tight-fitting lids.
- Keep rooms dry with fans or dehumidifiers.
- Store firewood up off of the ground and a distance from your house.
- Eliminate standing water in your yard.
- Keep gutters clear to direct water away from your foundation.
- Seal all cracks and crevices that can be potential roach entry points.
These cockroach prevention tips are a good start, but they can be time-consuming, costly, and in no way guarantees results. Plus, you don’t want to take chances with these particular pests since they can be a health risk, wreak havoc in your home, and cause extreme stress. To be safe this winter, and throughout the entire year, you can an experienced pest control company like American Pest Solutions. Our technicians work tirelessly to provide advanced pest control solutions that will eliminate the threat these dangerous pests pose. Give us a call today to learn more about our residential pest control solutions and rest easy knowing that your Hartford home will remain free of cockroaches throughout the year.
For Immediate Assistance Call (888) 324-7025
- Recent Blog Posts
- April 15, 2019 - Are Clover Mites Dangerous to New England Residents?
- April 10, 2019 - How to Cockroach-Proof Your New England Home for the Spring
- April 04, 2019 - Hartford Homeowner’s Guide to Summer Termite Infestations
- Ants - (11)
- Bed Bugs - (31)
- Birds - (2)
- Biting Insects - (6)
- careers - (1)
- Carpenter Ants - (1)
- Carpenter Bees - (1)
- Carpet Beetles - (2)
- Clover Mites - (3)
- Cockroaches - (8)
- home termite control in ma - (1)
- house spider - (1)
- I-91 - (1)
- mouse droppings - (1)
- Indian meal moths - (1)
- common wildlife in hartford - (1)
- five stages of bed bug development - (1)
- pest birds - (1)
- commercial bird control in ma and ct - (1)
- fall pests in springfield - (1)
- View All Tags